Monday, July 19, 2010

Top Five Things I'm Doing While I Wait

This is a weird time. The book is out of my hands but not yet in anyone else's. In my wildest dreams, every man, woman, and child (and their dogs) in America buys a copy of The Atlas of Love. In my wildest nightmares, no one does but my mom. Probably, reality will fall somewhere in the middle as it always always always does. The path to getting one's novel into a bookstore is looooooong. So here's what I'm doing while I wait through this last (I think?!) bit:

1) Well, blogging. And otherwise trying to make connections with people who might read my book.

2) Marketing/Publicity. And otherwise trying to meet and connect with people who review books and help people find books they might want to read. This is noble work. Aren't you always so, so grateful to people who recommend to you books you read and love? If you know anyone who reviews books or are someone who reviews books, please please let me know.

3) Starting book the second. I had forgotten how daunting it is starting a novel. This one should be different than the first in that now I know that I am capable of writing a novel, a thing I was in no way sure about before I did so. More on that in a future post. For the moment, suffice it to say beginning again remains daunting and scary -- and interesting and fun -- and daunting and scary.

4) Running around after my two-year-old. Many of the people in my life really care that I have a book coming out in a month. My two-year-old isn't one of them. His life -- and my life with him -- is unmoved by such things. We continue to do what we do -- park, beach, playground, nap, food, bath, running around and around and around.

5) Panicking. What if people don't like it? What if people don't buy it? What if people do buy it, and then they don't like it? Et cetera. More on this in a future post too.

1 comment:

  1. Laurie,

    I loved the Atlas of Love! You can check out my review at http://www.marnesandnoble.blogspot.com/. I have no doubt that a varied audience will enjoy the book. Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete